DECODING SEMEN RETENTION IN AYURVEDA
by Harsh Shah on Jul 21, 2022
Have you heard about semen retention in Ayurveda and its benefits? Let’s dig deeper to know more!
Ayurveda has been built on three sub-pillars of life: Ahara or diet, Nidra or sleep, and Brahmacharya or control of sexual energy. These sub-pillars influence the tridoshas (biological forces of energy) Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. While the role of Ahara and Nidra is relatively well-known, not much is known about Brahmacharya today.
Contrary to popular belief, Brahmacharya is not about abstinence but an individual’s ability to control their sexual desires, which includes sperm retention. While many may argue that sperm retention is a modern practice, you will be surprised to know that it is probably as old as mankind.
There isn't enough evidence in a scientific way that shows the benefits of sperm retention, but it says practicing it surely helps to increase sperm motility.
So what about testosterone? According to a couple of research, retaining sperm increases the concentration of testosterone in the blood by 1.5 times. This helps for better masculinity, greater energy, and a better mood. Masturbation on a regular basis results in poor sperm quality.
What Does Research Say?
There is plenty of research on sperm retention benefits in Ayurveda and other medical practices. Here are a few:
- Sperm retention for 4 to 7 days has been shown to improve semen volume, total sperm count, total motile sperm, progressive motility, normal morphology, and viability. (Source)
- Did you know retaining sperm can boost testosterone levels by nearly 45% in just one week?
Sperm Retention Benefits in Ayurveda
- Though still disputed by several scientists and allopathic practitioners, sperm retention benefits in Ayurveda include:
- More intense orgasms and a more satisfying sex life
- It helps people with premature ejaculation and allows them to enjoy a longer session of sexual activity
- Improves sperm quality, quantity, and motility, thereby boosting fertility
- Being able to control your ejaculation and last longer in bed is a confidence booster for most men. It also helps build self-control.
- Few studies state that practicing sperm retention reduces the risk of prostate cancer.
Sperm retention in Ayurveda has been widely recommended for its many benefits. AADAR too promotes Ayurveda and talks about men’s wellness and their concerns to be cured in an Ayurvedic way. If you wish to know more about sperm retention, consult our Ayurvedic practitioner today!